Cawthorne is a rural village dating back to medieval times and is home to just over 1100 residents, nestling in beautiful countryside in the eastern foothills of the South Yorkshire Pennines. It is a popular destination for visitors and walkers and has recently been included in the Sunday Times list of the best 50 villages in the UK.
The village is surrounded by agricultural land and the church has strong connections with the farming community. Other main industries include tourism, focussed on Cannon Hall, Cannon Hall Open Farm, Cannon Hall Garden Centre and Naylor Industries, a clay pipe works.
Housing within the village varies from 'medieval' to '21st century'. The Parish Council attained Quality Status in 2004 and instigated the Village Design Statement, Parish Plan, Affordable Housing and the general well-being of the village. The general price of property is above average for the county.
The population is of a mixed age range and of socio-economic mix. There are many facilities for all villagers including the Children’s Centre, cricket and football clubs, Museum Society, Brownies and Over 60s Club. In all, there are over twenty groups within the village.
Cawthorne Church of England (VC) Primary School has 160 children on its roll and is rated outstanding by OFSTED and SIAMS. The recently appointed headteacher, Mr Adam Bramall, is very keen to maintain and extend links with the church. Children attend church for special services and the vicar visits the school to lead acts of worship. Members of the church are school governors and volunteer to help in classrooms.
Beside the Church there are very useful Parish Rooms available for hire for meetings and functions with a modern kitchen, piano and audio/visual wall mounted display.
There is a Village Hall owned by the village and this is where many events take place. We also have a small village store with a tearoom, a local post office selling traditional sweets, a public house, restaurant, beauty salon, card and gift shop and a busy antiques centre.